Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ink Change Up

I've decided to switch from water based relief printing inks to Caligo Safe Wash inks. I only experimented with them on one project so far and I can tell they are going to take some getting used to; very different from water based relief inks.
I'll try to update my progress using the new inks as I use them in future projects.

Screen Printing Press Set Up

I've been getting some inquires as to my screen printing set-up. It's a cobbled together simple set-up. The whole thing is mounted to a chunk of 1/2" scrap ply wood (for portability) and made to use 20"x24" screens. The "platform" was made to take t-shirts as well as small posters. The "platform" is mounted to the base on 2x4's and is 1/2" thick cabinet grade piece of wood.  There is a shoe lace clamped to the side that goes through a eye hook and a 20 oz. Plumb hammer through a loop on the other end as a counter weight. I haven't done anything with registration; so I'm not sure how effective it is at multi-color projects.

More Hops

Here is the outcome of using the Humulus Lupulus block on fabric! I used oil based ink (black) and fabric from the local fabric store. I applied a hot iron to cure and washed them to make sure the ink was set.

I only printed two and had the edges rolled and sewn. I think they turned out well and will be experimenting with block printing on fabric in the future!

More Birthday Prints

As promised, I'm updating the outcome of the birthday prints. I decided to do random colors (orange, blue, silver, black) and random overprints.

Some interesting, unpredicted results with some of them!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

More Random Phone Pictures

Here is another smattering of pictures taken with my phone.

More project updates coming soon...promise.

Saturday, April 14, 2012


So I teased a little while back about a project that I started here. I finally finished processing and printing! I had some old PA maps not being used and wanted to do something with them. So I designed an image using the 717 area code. I then cut the maps to size using the area of the map that the 717 area code covers and tea stained them. After completing the printing I burned the edges and mounted them on mat board.

 Thanks for looking! More follow ups projects to come.